Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Baking with Love


When it comes to cooking, I love making desserts more than anything else. But most of the desserts I make do not involve much baking. I only bake cookies during fasting month in preparation for eid and cakes are very rarely made. When I was in the UK, the only cake I made was a cheesecake. Last year however, my sister and I tried our hand at baking cupcakes. We followed a recipe from a book I bought. The cakes were delicious if I might say, but unfortunately, the buttercream frosting was a bit soft and it didn't look nice when piped out. I was determined to try again but the second time around the frosting came out to be even worst.

Anyway, I was not going to be defeated so with the hope that third time is the charm, my sister and I had another go on Sunday. This time we must not fail as it was being baked for my mother's birthday. So, instead of making cupcakes, we made a whole cake. To ensure that the frosting won't be soft, I reduced the amount of boiling water but I guess it was still too much. The piped frosting didn't come out nicely but it seemed better than before. My sister said that with practice it would be better. I hope so too.

I find that baking is quite fun, thus, I'm thinking of taking a cake decorating class. Who knows I might be good at it and can then make some money from baking cakes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam,

What buttercream recipe are you using? If you want the frosting to be stiffer (for piping), I'd suggest increasing the amount of icing sugar (powdered sugar). Add in a little at a time until you get the consistency that you want.

Good luck! And yes, baking is fun, isn't it? :)

bumble_bee said...

Salam Rieyll,

I used the recipe that I got from a cupcake recipe book. It uses butter, icing sugar, a bit of vanilla extract and boiling water.
Thank you for the tip. I will try it next time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...