Thursday, March 10, 2005

Cooking desserts

At the moment I've got a pot of mutton curry simmering on the stove. So while waiting for the mutton to tenderize, I decided to put in an entry. I didn't put in my weekly post on Sunday coz I was quite busy with work and I spent Sunday afternoon cooking. Both Shah and I were craving for pengat pisang so I decided to cook that as a dessert with chicken rice as the main meal. But while adding the tapioca pearls (a.k.a. sago or sagu) to the pengat, we remembered the dessert made of sagu and gula melaka syrup that we had during the Malaysia Night dinner. So I looked thru the recipe book we have to see if it had the recipe for that particular dessert. Alas, it was there listed under the title 'Puding Sagu'. Seeing we had extra sagu on hand we decided to try make the puding sagu since the recipe was quite simple. Although we substituted the gula melaka with muscavado sugar when making the syrup. Even so we were successful in making the puding sagu. I even took a photo of the desserts we made.


Pengat pisang and puding sagu Posted by Hello

(I just remembered my mutton curry...got to go season it and take it off the stove)

Well, apart from that, last Thursday Shah and I went to Solihull (near Birmingham) to transfer the conditions of Shah's visa since he's no longer considered a student. We took off to Birmingham on the 9:11am train and went on to Solihull from there. I really liked Solihull. It was a nice little English town. Even so, the high street in the centre of the town had all the major stores we usually find in bigger cities. We took some pictures of the town which I have yet to upload to our fotopage. But I will upload them soon. Amazingly, while walking around the Touchwood shopping mall in Solihull we came across a cart selling Auntie Anne's Soft Pretzels. The same Auntie Anne pretzel's that are found in almost all the major shoping complexes Malaysia which I really love. So I jumped at the chance of getting a pretzel. I was like a small kid in a sweet store coz there were at least 7 different varieties of pretzels to choose from. We settled for the cinnamon sugar pretzel and we asked the lady for one. She told us that if we bought 2 then we'd get one pretzel free but we decided to buy just the one. What a mistake! After devouring the ONE pretzel Shah and I realized that we needed at least another to satisfy our craving for pretzels. So we missed out on the offer the kind pretzel-selling lady told us about. Anyway, we started thinking about the calories and sweet content of the pretzel we just had and decided not to get any more. (Sigh..) Now, while writing about the pretzels my saliva glands are starting to salivate and I'm silently wishing Nottingham had an Auntie Anne Soft Pretzel's cart. Unitl a store opens here, I just may have to visit Solihull again to satisfy my pretzel craving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...