Monday, February 28, 2005

The week summarised

A bit on what's happened...

Snow fall..finally



After much hype about the acrtic freeze and heavy snowfall across east and south UK, the snow finally did settled in Nottingham last Wednesday. As usual, Shah and I went out early to snap some pics even though the snow that settled was just around an inch of the ground. Most of the pics have been uploaded on our fotopage so I've only put 1 photo here. The first pic is how the field next to my office building looks. The snow-covered pic is one of my favourite coz it shows the daffodils shoots which contradicts the snow. Plus if you look closely you'll be able to see the trail Shah and I left when we crossed the field. Even though the snow fall vanished after about 2 hrs since the pictures were taken I still enjoyed the snow. I wished it would snow more but don't think it will happen. So will just have to make do with the memories and pictures we have.

Islamic Awareness Week

Last week was also the Islamic Awareness week at the Uni. There were many talks but I only attended one about Hijab and the misconceptions surrounding this issue. Ever since the Hijab ban was started in France (spreading thru to Belgium, Germany and many more Europe countries), this issue really needs our attention here in the UK coz it happen here too. The speaker was one of the corodinators of the Assembly on the Protction of Hijab. She advised us all to visit ww.prohijab.net and send a letter to as many European MP's (MEP's) as possible coz they need to collect around 300+ MP's to agree to their campaign on allowing people in Europe to express their religious ways. So if any of you reading this are in Europe do help out. I myself think that hijab is not a sign of oppression. As an woman wearing the hijab I never find it restricting me freedom unless I'm faced with people who don't undrstand what the hijab means. The hijab when worn properly protects women from being objectified by men. It doesn't opress us in any way because Islam believes that women are equal to men ever since Prophet Muhammad SAW started to spread Islam more than 1400 years ago. Not like here in the west when women were only considered as citizens of England sometime in 1800's and were only allowed to vote in 1921. Now that is oppression!

Nottingham Uni Malaysian Nite

Yesterday Shah and I went to the Malaysian Nite. It was OK I guess. We went to the dinner and play. The food was delicious but the quantity was not enought to fill our stomach. The play was so-so but enjoyable nonetheless. We took lots of pictures with our friends so have a look at our fotopage.

I guess that's all for this week...bye!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...