Friday, July 23, 2004

The one with the hotels

I didn't think I'd get to write today coz there was this awful thunderstrom earlier this evening which reminded me of the thunderstroms we usually get in Msia. When the thunderstorm strikes back home, my mum would make us stop using the computer and unplug the sockets or else the modem would get struck by the lightning. And thunderstorms also remind me of my grandmother always telling us to switch off and unplug the TV and of course us being children would just ignore her and say 'But the TV won't get struck by lightning coz the aerial is indoors' when infact we were just making up excuses to keep the tele on or else we'll get bored. Those were the good old days...no worries, just fun fun fun.  Anyway, back to present day and luckily the thunderstorm died down about an hour ago and now I can give my thoughts of the day.

Shah and I were surfing the net looking for any good deals for a uk city break. We came across quite a few deals on Expedia to Leeds and Newcastle and were quite enthusiastic to book the hotels from the pics shown in Expedia. However, after consulting Tripadvisor we were let down by the reviews. It turned out that the pics were infact quite deceiving. It would have been OK if the hotels offering the deals were 2-star hotels but I didn't expect 4-star hotels to get reviews, not one review but several bad ones, of untidy rooms and tasteless food. We've been to quite a few hotels and out of all the best ones were Hilton Manchester Airport (stayed there just before going back to Msia for our wedding reception) and The Burlington Hotel, Birmingham (when we went to the motor show). Unfortunately we only stayed 1 night at both the hotels but it was well worth it. The worst must have been the Sultan of Brunei-owned An-Nur Hotel, London. The room was small, the bathroom was badly lit and the bedcover had blood stains. Ewww..everytime I think about it makes me cringe. But it did have a 'Qiblat' sign which was good for us. We paid a hefty £45 for that one night we spent there which come to think of it was almost equal to the price we paid for the Hilton in Manchester but the quality was of great contrast. At that time we haven't come across Tripadvisor. I really think Tripadvisor is worth a look if you're deciding to go to any hotels in the UK but I think they also review hotels from other countries. Shah is thinking of sending a review to Tripadvisor to 'kutuk' An-Nur Hotel and Bayswater Inn (when we stayed here the receptionist was very rude).

Both of us are in real need of a good holiday but we just can't seem to find some place nice, peaceful and has some history to it. We really loved our trip to York. The city was historical and the hotel we stayed in was lovely and cozy. Hope we can find somewhere to go soon or I'll go out of my mind!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...