Saturday, November 13, 2010

Project "Our Hive": Living + Dining Room Colour Scheme

The first item we bought for our living room was a leather sofa in dark brown followed by a black TV cabinet. With those items, it was pretty much a done deal that the furniture in the living and dining rooms were mostly going to be dark pieces. To suit the dark pieces, a neutral colour scheme was chosen for the living and dining area with the main colour being tones of brown and beige or cream with accents of red. I added the red into the mix in order to bring continuity to the kitchen cabinets. The inspiration for the colour scheme actually came from the first Ariani headscarf I bought. The colours on the scarf are very much similar to the group of colours shown in the second picture (obtained from google). After having set the colours to be used, I googled for living room ideas and I was ecstatic to have found the picture above. The colours and dark furniture totally represents what I was imagining in my head down to the red accents on the curtain and cushions. I even imagined having a lamp with a red base in the room. So, I'm working my way to get a room that looks something like this.

Currently our living-dining area is already painted in the same cream colour and we've already got the sofa, albeit both are in a slightly darker tone to that in the googled picture. Our curtain is different though. I was gutted that we couldn't find a fabric with red accents when we shopped at Baagus. So I settled for fabric in a lighter shade of brown with gold undertones and a dark brown border and embroidery. What we need to get next are the dining table and a light-coloured floor rug. Then we're just left with getting cushions in cream with red highlights and wall hangings. I also need to brighten the room more so I'll add a huge mirror in the dining area to reflect the light.

I so can't wait to get the living and dining rooms done. I wish I could just concentrate on furnishing the house and not have to work. But that will not happen unless money grew on trees. So, I'll update more when I'm finally done.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...