Friday, October 16, 2009

Milk from A Box

Yesterday, 15 October 2009, exactly one month and four days before Maisarah turns two, I supplemented her breastmilk with UHT milk. I was fully prepared for this. I knew that eventually my milk would not be enough to sustain her needs so we had bought a box of Du*tch Lady UHT milk last weekend. Yesterday morning, I had finished up all my frozen milk stock and in the fridge there was about 11 oz of breastmilk left. Lately Maisarah drinks 9 oz of milk a day and I am only able to express 5-6 oz at the office. Since I have not much stock left in the fridge I mentioned to my mom's helper (whom I call 'Kakak') to give breastmilk in the morning and evening and give 3 oz of UHT milk after lunch. In this way I am hoping I can still continue to breastfeed her until she turns two.

According to the Kakak, at first Maisarah drank the UHT milk but after 1 oz she stopped and said 'Tak sedap'. But Kakak continued to give her the milk and she drank close to another 1 oz before she stopped and refused to drink any more. I am not deterred to give her the milk so we're going to try again today. I'm hoping after a few more tries she will acquire the taste of milk from a box and will start to like it. If not, I will have to try other brands of milk. But I'm pretty fixed on giving UHT milk and not formula for her milk supplements. But just for my future reference, what type of milk are you giving your child? Please also share with me your tips on giving formula/other types of milk to previously breastfed babies. Maybe I can try them out on Maisarah.

6 comments:

Ira said...

Anisa..
cuba try soy milk pulak..
ayna mmg x boleh cow milk (lactose intolerance).. takpun cuba bg maisarah uht milk with choc stramberry flavor ke.. kot2 dia nak?

kejap je dh 2 thn kan? mcm baru je smlm melahirkannya.. uhu.. emo sekejap..

bumble_bee said...

OK, maybe nanti boleh try soy milk kat Maisarah. Ayna minum soy milk yang mana?

Itu la kejap je dah nak 2 tahun. Cepat sangat!

Ira said...

selalu ira beli brand 'homemade soy'.. takpun any brands yg sugar free.. ada gak sesekali beri ayna soy with corn flavor atau strawberry.. hehe.. makcik tu suka je.. in fact uht tu pon dia lebih suka tp lepas minum mesti muka dia merah2 n bengkak2..

bumble_bee said...

Thanks Ira for the suggestions. Semalam dah beli susu UHT choc falvoured. Hopefully dia akan suka minum. Kalau tak nak try yg soy pulak.

lia said...

lia da start bg Amsyar susu uht dut.ch lady jugak, yg flavour strawbery tu... ganti2 dgn susu yes dut.ch lady tp kena ada perisa, yg plain dia tolak mentah2...

sbb dia reject ebm ;(

bumble_bee said...

Hi Lia! Maisarah pun dah reject EBM and susu UHT yg plain. Kalau rasa chocolate tu ok lagi tapi paling2 pun dia minum 1 kotak kecik sehari. Pening jugak kepala nak fikir apa susu nak bagi kat diorang ni kan?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...