Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Got Boobies? : Get Them Checked

Did you know that October is the month of breast cancer awareness? Well, I knew there was one month dedicated to this but I didn't know it was October. I always wanted to get myself one of those Pink Ribbon buttons sold in the UK but I never did. Anyway, breast cancer to me is something I must be cautious about but never have I done a proper breast self-examination (BSE). I mean we wouldn't want to lose a breast or even worse lose our life just because we didn't spend less then half an hour to check our B's regularly.

The BSE should be done once a month and for those of us who are still menstruating, the BSE should be done a few days after your period ends (by then the B's are less likely to be swollen and tender). The following are steps to perform a proper BSE, which were taken from here.












Now that we know how to do it, please please please remind ourselves to do the BSE every month. Put a post-it note in your diary or on your mirror, set an alarm on your handphones or PDA. It's better to be safe than sorry. In any case that you (God forbid) do find a lump, go see a doctor but do not panic. According to this:
Most women have some lumps or lumpy areas in their breasts all the time. In the United States, only 20% of women who have a suspicious lump biopsied turn out to have breast cancer.
I found this website to be very useful for more explanations and pictures on performing the BSE, what to look out for and how to feel the breast during the BSE. Do check it out ok?

The reason I'm writing this post is to remind myself on how to do the BSE and also to spread the word on breast cancer awareness. The added bonus is that AliceWonders.com is conducting a "Got Boobies" campaign. Aside from increasing Breast Cancer awareness they are giving out prizes to any random blog spotted with their Pink Ribbon & a "GOT BOOBIES" post every week from 24 October to 28 November. More info on the contest are available here.

Who wouldn't want to get a prize ey? I certainly would.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...