Thursday, August 13, 2009

Breastfeeding a Toddler

Maisarah will turn 21 months old on Wednesday next week. Alhamdulillah I have still managed to continue breastfeeding her. I'm 3 months shy from reaching my goal of giving Maisarah breastmilk till she turns 2 years old. Currently she is still drinking only breastmilk. Occasionally she will have her yogurt snack or have cheese or some milk aded to her food. But mainly she is still on Mommy's milk. My stock pile has dwindled to about 10 bottles in the fridge and freezer. Daily I'm able to express a total of 6-7 ounces while she now drinks 6-8 ounces while I'm at work. Hence, so far so good. I'm praying hard to Allah that this Ramadhan won't cause my milk production to reduce further. However, I am prepared to supplement Maisarah with UHT milk if Allah decides otherwise.

Anyway, lately breastfeeding her has sometimes created incidents which amuse me and others in my family. Below are the things she does while breastfeeding:

  • She will demand I breastfeed her while lying down. She always says 'Mommy baring' (Mommy, lie down). If I say 'Mommy duduk la ye?' (Why don't I just sit down?). She will reply ' Tak boleh'.
  • If she is not satisfied with one br*ast, she will say 'Tukar tet*k' (Change breasts) or 'Nak belah kiri/kanan' (I want the left/right side) which ever one is free. Sometimes her 'left/right' is correct. This also happens when she feeds in the middle of the night. She started doing this since she was a little over one year old but at that time she would say 'Ukar Ekek'.
  • Also, ever since she was a little over one year old, she would breastfeed freestyle, i.e. some times while sitting or she would start feeding while lying down next to me and then get on top of me or raise her bum in the air (i.e. tertonggeng). These acts never fail to make my mom laugh.
  • Lately, she will feed on one br*ast and twist ('gentel') the ni*ple of the other as if she is tuning the radio. That will tickle me and some times she will resort to pinching the ni*ple which then makes me raise my voice at her.

Well, no matter what she does, I am truly greatful to Allah forgiving me the pleasure of brestfeeding Maisarah. I am surely going to miss our bonding/cuddling sessions together when the time comes for her to wean. For now, I will treasure each and every feeding session with her.

9 comments:

Ira said...

bestnya maisarah masih fully bf.. ayna kuat nyusu sgt la.. 15oz per day (dulu 18oz okay..) my prod a day dalam 8oz jek.. @ 14 mths terpaksa campur dgn isomil and now pediasure.. mlm2 n weekend still gayut exactly cam maisarah tu.. dia boleh demand nak tek mana satu & nak postion camne.. hehehe..

moga dipermudahkan anisa.. insya Allah, maisarah mesti dpt bf smpi 2 thn.. pastu, jom kita bg adik lg kat our princess eh?? kekeke...

bumble_bee said...

Waa..banyaknya Ayna nyusu. Maisarah dulu pun nyusu banyak tapi sekarang dah kurang. Kalau tak sure dah lama kena supplement dgn FM. Memang comel tgk diorang demand masa menyusu kan?

Thanks Ira. Harap2 boleh la tambah adik nanti, insyaAllah. :)

Fedyeu said...

wahh.. sgt jeles bace... lg 3 month jek! k.anisa, since when maisarh minum sket like 6-8 oz nih?

bumble_bee said...

Dalam sebulan ni Maisarah mula minum sikit Fedy. Rasa senang hati sikit sebab tak de la makan stock banyak sgt. But at the same time risau gak kalau2 dia tak cukup minum. But I make sure dia minum air banyak.

fedy said...

ic, lambat gak la kn..

fedy rase zahraa dh stat minum milk sket now.. mayb sbb fedy pon dh xde milk sgt kot.. xtau bape oz sbb direct kn.. tp rase mmg siket la die minum.. she just 13 month old baru.. mlm2, slalu cam nanges.. sort of tido xlena.. kene nenen all the time br ok..

bumble_bee said...

Fedy, i think masa maisarah baya zahraa skrg, maisarah ada jugak selalu nangis mlm2 macam tak puas minum susu. time tu mmg bergayut aje almost the whole night. Rasanya time tu gigi maisarah nak tumbuh. Zahraa dah ada gigi brapa? Anyway, fedy cuba la dulu sebanyak mungkin and doa pada Allah. InsyaAllah you will gwet through the hard times.

Fedyeu said...

tq k.anisa...

lia said...

lagi 3bulan 2y ya? bagus nya masih dpt till 7oz... Alhmdlh...

mmg anak2 yg bf ni suka wat freestyle kan?

;p

bumble_bee said...

Lia - Thanks Lia. Alhamdulillah I masih dapat bertahan. Allah aje la yg membantu. Ada gak few times rasa macam dah nak bagi FM. Mmg kelakar tgk gaya anak2 bf. Tapi kadang2 tak selesa breasts kena pulas dan tarik ke sana ke mari.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...