Thursday, June 30, 2005

Strange things do happen

I was just browsing the Malaysian papers today (while running my simulations) and I came across an article about another baby abduction in Malaysia. For those who don’t know, a week or so ago a newborn (something like 2 days old) baby was abducted from Sungai Petani Hospital in Malaysia. Luckily, the baby was found 5 days or so later. The baby was abducted by a nurse working at the hospital who was said to have depression due to 2 miscarriages. I was shocked by this incident and when I first read about it I felt so sad for the parents, especially the mother who wasn’t able to even hold the baby after birth because the baby had some breathing difficulties and had to be put in an incubator. If I were she I would have gone mad. After that many Malaysians, myself included, felt so angry that the security at Malaysian hospitals were so lacking. But when I knew it was an inside job I felt slightly better. I also slightly pity the woman that took the baby. Having gone through 2 miscarriages and then to work with babies day-in and day-out she surely must have had a massive bout of depression. But she should have sought professional help. However, if she abducted the baby out of spite and not because of depression then she sure is one bad woman.

Anyway, back to the article today, this time a 3-month old baby was abducted in Sibu by a heavily pregnant woman for the sole purpose of selling the abducted baby. The story goes that the woman came to a house in which the family living there has 2 children and the mentioned baby. The woman went there in search of help from the family to send her to her father’s place to drop of some stuff. But because the father and mother of the family sympathised with the woman’s condition being pregnant and all, they were so kind as to say that they will send the stuff for this woman by taxi while the woman waits at their home with their 3 children. So off they went. Lo and behold, when the father and mother came back the 2 kinds were left outside the house and the baby was gone as was the pregnant woman. Luckily the police were able to trace the woman and recover the baby within 24 hours after the abduction.

I feel sorry for the baby and angry with the pregnant woman for wanting to abduct a child. But I can’t say I sympathise too much with the father and mother of the family. I am more puzzled by their stupidity instead. I mean what do you expect! If you leave your kids with a stranger there is a small chance that something bad might happen to your children. Well, I read this article in Utusan Malaysia. When I read the same news in the New Straits Times, it seems that this pregnant lady was actually a next-door neighbour of the family who must have recently moved there who also had depression because she had to leave her 5 children and her husband. Anyway, I’m guessing that she still can be considered as a stranger if the family didn’t know her that well.

Anyway, I will never leave my children with a stranger. Not even if the stranger looks like a decent person because these days you never know what can happen. Looks can be deceiving as they say. This kind of news from home is very disturbing when you’re just about the move back there and thinking of starting your own family. But then if things were decreed by Allah to happen to you or your loved ones it will happen any time and anywhere.

OK, enough break for today. Back to work!

P/s: Last Sunday, Shah, his friends and I went to Nottingham Castle and went on the Castle Caves tour. It was very interesting. I’ve got some pics to upload and will blog about it later on when I have the time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...