Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Al Quran, science and Arabic

Last Saturday Shah and I went to a talk regarding how we can strengthen our faith in Islam through science and also how science and revelations in the Quran agree and justify each other. The talk was very interesting as the speaker gave verses from the Quran which when translated gave agreed with science realting to the movement of the sun on its orbit which revolves around the centre of the Milky Way. He also mentioned verses in the Quran which agrees with scientific finding on the human fertilization process, sex determination and the human bodies defence mechanism. I was really interested to learn more but the talk had to be cut short since the speaker arrived an hour late than the scheduled start and the lecture theatre was only booked till 5pm. The Nottingham Postgrad society then said that the talk was going to be continued at the Penghulu's house but Shah and I decided not to go there coz it was too far away. It was a bit of a shame coz I really wanted to hear more.

Anyhow, the talk mainly highligted the need for all Muslims to understand the translation of the Quran and that a non-Arabic speaking Muslim needs to learn the Arabic language in order to fully grasp the meaning of the verses in the Quran. I actually want to learn Arabic and I really hope I'll be able to do so after I've finished my PhD. I got an email from the Islamic Society at Uni of Nottingham about a 2 month Arabic Language Course which I'm really interested in joining. However, I don't think I'll be able to undrtke it due to the ver increasing workload that I currently have and the ever looming December thesis submission deadline that I have. Even so learing Arabic will always be a high priority in my to do list which I'll certainly have to accomplish God willingly.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...