Friday, August 27, 2004

Studying vs Working...

This weekend is the last bank holiday weekend of the year but even so I've got lots of things to do. As usual we'll take Saturday off but I have to make sure I work on Monday. I know I shouldn't be but I am kinda feeling bored of my work. I can't wait to finish! Come to think of it I've been studying non-stop for 18 yrs..ever since I was 7 yrs old and I think it's high time I got some rest. But for now I've got to strive hard and finish what I've started. I think I'm not the kind of person that quits half way. Especially when what I'm doing concerns my future. So even though at times I get really frustated with my work progress, I just take some time out and then start at it again. Luckily I find it very easy to get my mind off anything that stresses me out usually by watching TV or going window shopping. Certain people can't distract their minds of their problems so they carry on feeling stressed all the time, 24-7, which can be taxing and dangerous physically and emotionally.

I can't imagine how our life would be after we finish studying. Working life seems very alluring and promising after all the pain and torture that studying brings. When you work, you get to earn more money and you don't have to keep working outside office hours. But I think that's only true if you work in the UK coz in Msia your work never seems to end, especially if ur working in private firms. I'm almost 100% sure that I'll become a lecturer after this coz I don't think it's as physically demanding as being an engineer. Plus I'm kinda having this delusion that lecturers have more flexible working hours but I haven't a clue how true that is. Another work related side effect that I'm dreading is politics at the work place. I don't see that as a big problem here but in Msia it seems that no matter where you work or what job level ur at you can never shirk off office politics. Because of that you will almost never get promoted until all the other senior work colleagues have been promoted and you'll always get bullied by them. I know this is all based on what my family members and friends have experienced but I'm definitely sure this will happen to me too. I just hope I don't crack under the pressure and bitchyness of office politics. I'm definitely sure that workload and office politics are the two biggest problems of working life. That's why people say once you start working you tend to remenisce on your simple and carefree student life while wishing you could go relive ur university years.

So no matter what you choose, studying or working, you'll never be satisfied and that is typical human nature.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...