Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Raya lagi seminggu

I've been sick since yesterday afternoon and it has just gotten worse today. My throat feels like it is lined with sandpaper and I it's very difficult to swallow even my saliva. My nose is blocked and there is only one position I can sit in such that i can breath properly. So since I can only sit in such a way (lying my left shoulder on to the chairback with my head slightly tilted to the left) there is not much that I can do. I am typing this entry with the keyboard half placed on my lap and half on the table. I am in no mood to do any reading for notes preperation so I'm blogging.

Next week will be Eid or Hari Raya. If we were back in Nottingham I will be making plans like when to go buy the chicken/food and what to cook. This year since we'll be spending our first Eid in Malaysia since ages (well 7 yrs is not really ages..) with family, everything is taken care of by the mums (my mum and Shah's mum la). So this year my sister and I made cookies. Last weekend we made 2 types, choclate chip and honey snaps cornflakes. This weekend we'll be making 2 more (3 if my mother has her way). We'll be making biskut suji (semolina) and mazola. And if we have time we'll also try and make biskut arab which mama keeps on mentioning. So at least I did something for raya. No home made jam tarts because it's all readily available to buy. I only made them once about 3 years ago because we were far far away from Malaysia and I so wanted to eat lots and lots of jam tarts.

While we're on the topic of Raya, my baju raya is ready. Mama will go pick them up from the tailor today. It's been a while since I sent my own baju raya to the tailor. Last year I just wore recycled baju from a few years back. Ans the year before I just wore one of the baju kebaya I madefor our wedding celebrations. But this year Abang has no baju melayu baru. He doesn't want any since he only ever wears it during raya time. Anyway, next year I'll make sure he has a new baju.

I don't know how raya will be this year. If in the UK we'll be spending raya with friends. Shah and will go to solat raya early and meet up with friends there. Then go to one designated house and eat potluck food. Afterwards we'll start making rounds to other postgrad houses to visit and eat more food.

This year we'll spend the first day in PJ with my mum, abah and Danial (my brother). It think it wil be a bit quiet compared to the 10-15 friends we usually spend Eid with in Nottingham. But being with family is different. It'll be a more emotional experienceI hope. Although I'm expecting it to be a bit awkward. I don't know what to expect since I can't remember how Raya in PJ is like. I don't think I've ever experienced it or maybe I did once but I vaguely remember how it was. When I was smaller, I usually spend raya in mama's kampung in Perak (even when mama and abah stayed in PJ) or spend raya with my grandparents (father's side) and my father's family (maybe I never mentioned this but my mum and dad seperated when I was 7 yrs old). But that was all ages ago. Whatever it is I'm hoping this Eid will be a good one.

On the second day of Raya Shah and I will leave early and make our way up north to Perlis. We're hoping to drop by mama's kampung in Perak. Since we got married, I've spent raya with Shah's family once in Nottingham. I'm looking forward to seeing how Shah's family spends rya back in Perlis. We'll be there until the following Monday (7/11/05) and head back to PJ on Tuesday. Then we'll have a rest on Wednesday before starting work again. Although we won't actually be resting that Wednesday coz we have to move more stuff into our rented apartment and amke it liveable cause we'll be living there from that week onwards.

Ok, I've got to stop now. My blocked nose has returned. Some how blogging helped it go away for a while as I got very comfortable blogging so much so that I moved away from the blocked-nose-cure-seating-poistion. So I've got to get back into that ackward position and try to clear my nose again. I hope all you out there have a good Eid and have a good long holiday if you're in Malaysia.

Selamat Hari Raya from me and Maaf Zahir Batin!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...